Saturday, January 28, 2012

That's How I Roll

One of my OT assignments was to take a wheelchair out in public and notice people's reactions and also barriers someone may experience if they always used a wheelchair.  I know it might sound bad, but it was really just to give us a perspective from the people that we might work with in the future.  My friend, Virginia, and I decided to try a buffet, and Luby's was the only one on our way home.  I had to roll myself uphill in the parking lot, so that was definitely my arm exercise for the day.


 I made it through the buffet line.  They handed me the plate over the glass protector, so it was hard to reach.  The lady behind us kept giving Virginia a dirty look because she wasn't helping me.  I was also filling my glass with water and the cashier came and grabbed it out my hand to finish filling it up even though I was perfectly capable of doing it myself.

 I always felt like people were staring at me, but I don't really think that they were.  After awhile, I kinda forgot that I was even in the wheelchair.


No comments:

Post a Comment